Sunday, March 24, 2013

Blueberry Cookies with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting & Easter 2013


For Easter, I like to try and make things that are very spring-y.
I like to make desserts that usually contain a fruit, and fresh ingredients.
So for this Easter, I decided to pick something simple to make, 
and what I chose was these easy to make cookies...although they're more like muffins.


It's difficult to make things for a large group of people for every holiday,
I'm not sure what to chose, as everyone's tastes are significantly different.
I try to make something that I hope many people will enjoy.
Sometimes I'm not always lucky, but I always get a large group of people
 waiting to see what I have made for the holiday.

Because Dave had the entire weekend off, before Easter on Sunday,
we took the opportunity to spend both days with my Grandmother to help prepare for Easter.
This is something I haven't had the opportunity to do for years, 
so I immediately entertained the idea of doing so.
And boy was she excited to hear we were spending the night.

Now our ferret, Rufus, is a big love bug and we couldn't stand to not bring him to be with us on Easter, 
so we packed up our bags, and a travel cage for Rufus.
Everyone loved him, and thought he was the cutest thing.
But because we stayed at my Gram's, 
it didn't give us much of an opportunity to take pictures, but I got a few.


Blueberry Cookies with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

For the blueberry yogurt cookies:
  • 1 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1 Large Egg, Beaten
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla
  • 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 2 Tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Cup Fresh Blueberries, Washed

For the lemon cream cheese frosting:
  • 1 (8-ounce) Package Cream Cheese, Softened
  • 2 3/4 Cups Confectioners’ Sugar
  • 1/4 Cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
  • 2 Tsp Grated Lemon Zest
Preparations

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. 
Line baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.


In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar and yogurt, then blend in the egg and vanilla.


In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together, 
then blend it into the wet yogurt mixture. Gently fold in the blueberries.


Drop tablespoonfuls of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, 
leaving about 2 inches of space between each cookie. 
Bake for about 10 minutes, until the cookies start to barely brown at the edges. 
Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for two minutes, 
and then move the cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. 


Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. 
Slowly add the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice and beat until creamy, about 3 minutes. 
Stir in the lemon zest. Spread on top of the cooled cookies. 


Yields ~ 48 Cookies

No comments:

Web Analytics Clicky