Sunday, April 07, 2013

PN #6; Pierogi Lasagna




The 6th edition of Pinterest Night is here! Hooray!

My turn again. I tried pierogis for the first time about 8 years ago at a bazaar that had a Polish booth.
I have loved them ever since. Any type of pierogi I can get my hands on, I will try.
So of course, when I saw this Pierogi Lasagna recipe, I had to try it.
The original post was another of the cut and dry, here's the recipe posts.
I think I have given up on trying to find ones with some personability to them.
I guess that's my job. ^.-

The recipe is all in all pretty easy to make, and even can be made with left overs.
It can also be made in under an hour.
We had no mashed potatoes left over, so we made ours fresh.
Left overs, fresh made, store bought mashed potatoes... Makes no difference at all.

I will say, however, that this is a bit of a disappointing recipe.
In general it was pretty bland. Below you will find the recipe as they had it.
Personally, I would make it differently next time.
I would add some sour cream and perhaps chives to the mashed potatoes,
and I would also add some more cheddar cheese.
Fresh shredded is always preferred to packaged.

The recipe definitely yields a large amount of food, as you would expect from a lasagna.
Add in the fact that it is pasta and potato, and it is quite a filling meal.
Don't forget to cover it with foil before baking it.
You'll end up with a lasagna "chip" as a top layer like we had.
Oh, well. :-P

Try out different combinations for the filling.
There are many different types of pierogis; why should there be only one pierogi lasagna?

Bon Appétit!

Pierogi Lasagna
Ingredients

  • 12 Lasagna Noodles
  • 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
  • 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
  • 1 1/2 (6 Oz) Cup Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
  • 1 Onion
  • 6 Cups Mashed Potatoes
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coat a 9'' x 13'' baking dish with cooking spray.
Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.


Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
Sautee onions 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned; set aside a half cup sauteed onions for topping.
Add pepper and cheese to mashed potatoes; mix well.


Line bottom of dish with noodles, add 1/3 of the potato mixture. 
Repeat until 4 layers of noodles, and 3 layers of potato. 
Top with onions. 


Cover with aluminum foil and bake 25-30 minutes, or until heated through.


No comments:

Web Analytics Clicky